Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Body Composition....

This is one reason why you shouldn't let the scale get you down! Muscle is more dense than fat! Here's a photo one of my friends sent to me the other day. I'd thought I'd pass it along.


Instead of using the scale to track my personal  weight loss progress and clients progress, I like to take measurements. Not all positive body changes are visible on the scale, especially not changes in muscle density. Use a tape measure and write down the measurements of your natural waist, the widest part of your hips, around your thighs, calves and biceps....   after a few weeks measure again. 


The exercise that you'll do in any comprehensive weight loss program will help you build muscle and gain a firmer, stronger overall physique. However, because muscle is heavy and dense, you might not see a drop on the scale when you gain muscle. You might even see the scale numbers rise as you get healthier and stronger! Having more muscle and less fat is a huge part of what will make you look skinny, but your scale could never show you how much muscle you've built.

No comments:

Post a Comment