Wednesday, February 9, 2011

crossfit



So I've been doing crossfit for the last 2 years- It's super intense, elite fitness- and I fell in love with the brutal rawness and passion of it. Check it out if you have never heard about it.
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html

I incorporate the philosophy in my classes and with my clients- although I have been modifying workouts to fit my particular goals and clients fitness levels. After two years- I was pretty fit- but my upper body was too ripped for my liking and I felt too heavy for running and plyos from all the muscle I had built... I was strong- but I looked a bit scary and for my tastes I'd rather lean out up top and look more feminine... The workouts are geared more towards elite athletes, fire fighters, the military and men... I don't want to look like Arnold- I want to look healthy and fit- not like Andre the Giant.. So over the last 3 months I've changed things up and really like the results. I'm not doing as heavy of lifts and I'm adding more cardio- running, skipping rope and using the stairmill. I've also been fine tuning accessory muscles- which has pulled me in and tightened me in places that I've been focusing on- like my glutes, hips and abs. Crossfit can be pretty expensive - I was spending $60 a week taking private classes- but decided to cut back- and do my own version at my home gym or work. I learned a lot from my coach- especially breaking down Olympic lifts, and how to safely perform them. Here is a brief description of the crossfit philosophy:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports."
~Greg Glassman

No comments:

Post a Comment