Wednesday, October 19, 2011

One Goal Finished... on to the next one

The marathon is over! I successfully finished... and no, I didn't win! Out of about 40 thousand participants, I finished about 18,000th haha. I completed my training and the race injury free, and was happy about my training. Will I do another one? Most likely not! I ran about 30 minutes slower than my goal, but running with the whooping cough makes things a bit interesting. The Chicago Marathon was a perfect marathon to run, the course was flat, there were so many spectators, it was well organized and the weather was perfect in the high 70's. I had a lot of fun, up until about mile 19, which at that point, my legs were dragging and every time I slowed down at the aid stations, my lovely cough came back to greet me.

After training, tapering and completing the 26.2 miles, I've concluded that half marathons are more my thing. Endurance wise I feel in shape, but the training took up so much time, energy and focus, I lost a lot of strength, speed and power. I don't feel very well rounded as an athelete... and I'm looking forward to being able to do other types of workouts, skateboard and feeling like I have more "pop"... the long runs really drained me for a few days a week.

It felt great to set a goal, work hard and accomplish it. I can apply what I learned about endurance training to any future clients that want to train for half and full marathons. I'm looking forward to taking on some of my other goals... pistols and practicing more yoga, which I had no time to work on before.

No comments:

Post a Comment